Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Gift of Cooking

Today was a pretty ordinary Tuesday for me. This morning I put a roast in the crock pot so that it could cook all day and be tender and falling apart delicious in time for supper. I went on with my day keeping the possibility in mind that I may make mashed potatoes to go along with the roast. Afternoon came and I decided I'd do just that. The menu would include my crock pot roast, homemade mashed potatoes with homemade gravy, peas from our garden, & sauerkraut for Chris (since he's crazy and likes that nasty stuff). That was definitely NOT homemade. It's bad enough smelling that stuff when I heat a little bit up on the stove. ;)

Of course it took a lot of dishes and some extra time to get everything made so that it was ready to eat and still hot when Chris arrived home from work which is never the same time each day. Thankfully he always calls when he leaves work to give me a heads up. :) He arrived home and we devoured everything in no time flat compared to how much time it took to prepare. 

Inevitably my kitchen somehow experienced a tornado while we were eating and all the dirty counters/pans were staring me in the face. So I proceeded to dig in and restore my kitchen back to normal state.

Chris normally helps me but instead he took Pyro out, filled up the bird feeders, and moved the truck to the top of the driveway in case it actually does snow a bunch tonight. Alone in my kitchen to clean up my delicious mess, I started pondering just how blessed I am.

I can cook. I don't post this blog entry with pride or arrogance. I debated not posting but I decided to do it anyways. My mom deserves a shout out for taking the time and energy to raise me up learning precious lessons right beside her in the kitchen. Rest assured at the time I was expected to learn all these lessons, I didn't think they were near as important as  she did. :) But now as I try to take my role as a wife and homemaker seriously, I am so very thankful for those years of stretching and learning. So many women didn't grow up with this blessing and I hope that I never take it for granted.

Tonight I am very grateful for this blessing and counting all my others that are truly never ending. Mom, the gray hair wasn't in vain - I love you!! Thanks for not giving up on me.



4 comments:

Ruth Showalter said...

love this post! and isn't the snow beautiful! hope you'll take time off from being cook for being photographer to do a snow post!

Jessie said...

Thanks Aunt RuthE! :) The snow WAS beautiful to wake up to this morning! I loved it. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post!-Sabrina

Jessie said...

Thank you, "Anonymous Sabrina"! ;)