Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Happy Birthday to ME.......A project finally complete!

November 11, 2015 -- My 31st birthday. Where does the time even go? I feel so old some days but I remind myself the best is yet to be! Chris asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I went the non traditional route requesting a hand made spice rack. I love to cook and bake and my spice collection is forever expanding. The chaos of having random containers was driving me crazy. After shopping in several stores and online, I could never find just what I wanted. Being the amazing husband that Chris is, he graciously brainstormed with me and came up with this design.


On my actual birthday, we had a Lowe's date to pick and purchase the wood we would use.


As it seems to go with our lives, we were busy with plenty of other things so Chris didn't actually get to start until several months later.






And then once he completed it, it took me awhile to get it painted. What was I thinking? All those boxes and tiny corners/crevices! Whew.


Over the course of the project build, we slowly worked on the actual spice jar aspect of it. I decided I wanted to use half pint glass canning jars so Chris based the measurements of each hole with that in mind. The actual spice rack was the perfect custom size to fit under my kitchen cabinets in a specific spot on my counter. Here are the labels he designed for me to stick on each jar lid which I am completely in love with!! (All the pictures can be viewed larger and with more detail if you click on them.)


And finally!! After several months of working at this project little by little, our dual efforts successfully completed my long awaited birthday present. :) It makes my heart so happy!!! Every single time I pull a jar out or just look at it, I can't help but smile.







And I even had him make labels for my spices/blends that need refrigeration so they don't get clumpy.


Thank you, Chris, for all the time and love you put into my very special gift! It is even better than I imagined it would be! :)

6 comments:

Ruth Showalter said...

Ah... that feeling of accomplishment and "satisfaction and pride of a job well done" (Thank you Ranger Bill)! You two are amazing! Thank you for sharing this, Jessie! Love ya!

Jessie said...

Yes! So true! Gotta' love Ranger Bill! :) Thanks for reading and commenting! <3

Rhoda said...

Now I need to ask are the alphabetized?! When I moved and my sisters found that I alphabetize my spices...they laughed and Rachel even found a magnet that says:"Turns out, there is no prize for alphabetizing your spices"! lol! Just curious! Aunt Rhoda

Jessie said...

They most definitely are alphabetized! So much easier that way. :) That's a funny magnet!

Chris said...

Awesome. Very spicy of you. ;)

Jessie said...

HAHA......good one.