Sunday, February 9, 2014

White Bean Chowder

I had several requests for this recipe so I thought I might as well put it up on my blog for everyone to enjoy!

The original recipe can be found here. I double the original recipe when I make it and have tweaked it to look like the following:

Ingredients -
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 Slices Bacon, Diced
1 Large Onion, Diced
2 Celery Stalks, Diced
2 Large Carrots, Diced
1/2 of a Red or Green Bell Pepper, Diced
6 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 Tablespoons Flour (I use Oat or Brown Rice to make this Gluten Free.)
6 Cups Chicken Broth
2-3 Fresh Tomatoes, Diced
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 Bay Leaves
1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
4 Teaspoons Dried Parsley
3 (15 oz.) Cans Cannellini Beans, Rinsed and Drained
6 Tablespoons Heavy Cream


Cooking Directions -
Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat; add the bacon and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and bell pepper and cook until starting to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium, stir in the garlic and cook 2 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook 2 minutes more.

Add the chicken broth, tomato, tomato paste, bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper, parsley, and beans and bring to a boil; turn the heat down and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Mash a few of the beans against the side of the pot if you want a thicker soup. (I do this quite a bit as I like thick soup.)

Remove the bay leaves and stir in the heavy cream. Simmer a few more minutes until heated through. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired; serve. 

I serve this with shredded cheddar cheese and/or parmesan cheese which is a nice addition to the top of each hot bowl of soup. :) Enjoy!!




No comments: